Stylish Crochet, Sewing, Bead work, Cakes and Upcycling

♥ The Best kind of therapy comes in the form of a needle and thread ♥

Monday, November 21, 2011

Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Rodrick Rules

It's getting closer to the holidays so that means it's time to make presents.   I came across this pattern written by a very talented designer, SharonOjala at HomemadeObsessions.blogspot.com . Sharon was kind enough to provide this pattern for free on her blog.  The pattern was easy to follow and it's going to make a great present to go along with the book. 


Those of you familiar with the books and movies, will understand the mischevious look on Rodricks face. I used scraps of worsted weight yarn, polyfil to stuff the head, neck and torso, and pipe cleaners in the arms and legs allow for bending.  Rodrick stands 11 inches ( 28cm) tall.

Below is my review and time line of the project:
Day 1 -
(1 hour)
Just starting the pattern, I’ve stuffed the head and the body, and everything is working up nicely. I’ve just got started on my first arm. Tricky making these because I have to be careful not to shove my hook through to the other side of the next stitch. This took about an hour to do. It’s late and I’m tired, so I will work on it some more tomorrow.
Day 2 -
(2.5 hours)
It’s the little details that take the longest to complete, but well worth it. I was able to complete the arms with pipe cleaners (I only had black pipe cleaners, but I would highly recommend using the same color pipe cleaners as your yarn). I finished and attached the nose, ears, hair and used a yarn needle and black yarn to sew on the facial expression. Just have to make the legs and feet now
Day 3 -
(1.5 hours)
Trust the pattern! Thank you to designers who not only write a good pattern, but also for providing helpful hints. Without the hint about the hair, I would have never known to apply clear drying glue to prevent from fraying. The glue also helped the hair stay in place. For some reason the legs and feet seemed to be easier to make than the arms. Maybe because I already got in some practice?
No doubt about it, I feel like this project was a success !


1 comment:

  1. WoW! He's perfect!! It's really a thrill to see him come to life in someone else's hands. And talented hands at that! Great job and great post!

    Thank you :)

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete